The Crankstart Internship Office is currently recruiting mentors for the Crankstart Careers Mentoring Programme – an exciting chance to support students as part of our widening participation careers mentoring programme.
The Crankstart Scholarship offers a programme of enhanced support to UK resident students studying for their first undergraduate degree from low-income backgrounds. The Crankstart Careers Mentoring Programme matches scholars with industry professionals from their sector of interest who will meet with one another over a series of sessions with the aim that each mentoring partnership will:
- Further encourage the selected mentees, by helping with confidence and fuelling their motivation to pursue their desired career path
- Offer the mentees expert insight from those currently within the industry
- Present the opportunity to cultivate and enhance important employability skills
- Potentially open up networking opportunities
Benefits for the mentor:
- Develop guidance and advice skills, as well as communication skills
- Gain insight into current university student life, and therefore those that will be coming through the next rounds of graduate recruitment
- Chance to reflect on your own achievements, and how your career has developed
- Experience to enhance your CV
- Being an important resource to those from low-income backgrounds who may not have been afforded these kind of opportunities in the past
- Involvement in an expanding widening participation programme
- Satisfaction and fulfilment from seeing mentees progress
- Invitations to events and networking opportunities
Once a mentor and mentee are matched you are expected to commit to your mentoring sessions over a period to be decided and agreed upon between the mentor and mentee.
After being selected as a mentor, you will be sent a guide which further covers what is expected from this programme, as well as advice on mentoring techniques. You will also be given the opportunity to attend optional workshops and training sessions.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the programmes or are interested in becoming a mentor, please send the following details to the Crankstart Internships team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your CV, career summary or LinkedIn profile
- Tell us a little about your experience and why/how you’d like to mentor to the Crankstart Careers Mentoring Programme
BECOME A MENTOR